Food Production Supervisor (Afternoon Shift)
Organization: Real Food for Real Kids
Location: East End of Toronto, ON
Job Title: Production Supervisor
Schedule: Monday to Friday, 4pm-12pm
Real Food for Real Kids (RFRK) is a growing company on a mission to make real food the standard rather than the exception.
A multiple award-winning company recognized for excellence and innovation, we’re a leading healthy catering company for child care centres, schools and camps. RFRK proudly serves nutritious meals and snacks to thousands of children throughout the Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area every day. We’ve also recently launched our Real Food Kitchen Delivery service (https://realfoodkitchen.ca/) to get our yummy food directly into households. Having recently received HACCP certification, we’re well poised for growth into new markets and planning for significant expansion over the coming years.
Our Food Production team is looking for a fantastic person to join us as a Production Supervisor. If you like the sound of us so far, keep reading to see if you have the experience and skills needed for this rewarding role!
About the Role:
The Production Supervisor (PS) is responsible for managing our Cooking, baking, sanitation and packing departments in the daily operation of goods production and order fulfillment. The PS is responsible for meeting production requirements by effectively leading and maintaining a focus on team development. The PS is integral to the implementation and execution of various change management and continuous improvement initiatives within production. The PS’ in-depth knowledge of various production processes allows for the analysis and identification of opportunities for efficiencies and cost savings.
Some of the things you’ll get paid to do:
- Oversee, schedule and review the team leads’ set-up for daily operations
- Ensure food item labelling is accurate, printed, and applied
- Ensure that client requests are fulfilled (i.e. communication, quantity and labelling changes, etc.)
- Facilitates problem solving by actively communicating with Operations, C&S, Food Planning, ITS, TT&C, Supply Chain and Logistics
- Track and record key production metrics
- Ensures that the team lead coordinates workflow effectively, stepping in to fill labor shortages and making recommendations to improve.
- Tracks, reports and manages existing inventory.
- Assist Production management with building and maintaining production standards for the Production teams.
- Root cause investigation of incidents where teams deviate from protocol and recommend corrective actions.
- Identify and flag quality issues that arise from various teams (poor quality produce, out of spec ingredients), report on quality trends and make recommendations
- Oversee a team of multiple staff with varying start times.
- Provide effective leadership and direction to hourly employees (coaching, cross-training, addressing and resolution of employee-related issues and concerns) within the framework of RFRK’s and regulatory policies
- Complete all payroll and attendance requirements for production team members within the allowed timeframe
Health & Safety
- Ensure a safe work environment is maintained at all times and employees are following all safety procedures and policies
- Maintain compliance with the OHSA, JHSC recommendations or MOL work orders, and RFRK’s safety policies
- Execute accident investigations in a timely and accurate fashion, and carry out any follow up required as a result of the investigation
- Communicate all pertinent information concerning production, problems and related action plans with all relevant stakeholders/departments
- Resolve problems by analyzing data; investigating issues; identifying solutions; recommending action
- Oversee and ensure proper cleaning and sanitation procedures for machines, equipment, and general production facility are adhered to
- Perform product quality inspections & measurements to ensure standards are met or exceeded
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience in food manufacturing or related industry
- Commitment to health and safety standards, regulations, supervisory responsibilities and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to schedule employees and production shifts within a multi-shift environment
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Natural alignment with RFRK Food values and mission
- Ability to communicate effectively and across multiple departments
- Ability to lead, motivate, coach, mentor and resolve employee conflicts
- Ability to consistently meet targets and deadlines
- Ability to think critically, problem-solve, and make effective decisions
- Strong command of English language (written and verbal)
- Food Handler’s Certificate
Working at RFRK comes with other perks too:
- 8 Paid Personal Days per year
- 2% RRSP Matching & $500 REP Matching
- $500 annually towards professional development
- Staff parties, monthly lunch & learns, mentorship program, & more!
To apply, please upload your résumé and cover letter, including salary expectations, explaining why you’d be a great fit for this role. If you meet almost all of the requirements and are not sure if you should apply, apply anyway! We may see something special in your application that sets you apart from the rest.
Real Food for Real Kids is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion in our workplace and at all levels of our organisation. We strongly encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
No phone calls or emails, please. We’ll contact applicants who fit the bill, and invite them in for an interview.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.
Thanks for your interest in Real Food for Real Kids!